Incoming Official FAQs





What types of badges are worn and who wears them?
The standard badges for Pentagon employees who meet the requirements for routine physical access, are Common Access Cards (CAC), Federal Personal Identity Verification (PIV) cards and Pentagon Facilities Alternative Cards (PFAC). Military, civilian and cleared contractor personnel carry CACs or PIVs. Personnel who may be issued PFAC’s include Presidential transition team members, specific members of the press, and other unique populations who require routine physical access, but do not meet the requirements to receive a CAC.

All badges must be worn above the waist at all times.


What should I do if I forget my CAC/PFAC?
Your CAC/PFAC serves as your physical access card to the building and your office space. If you forget your badge you will need to enter through the Pentagon Visitor Entrance, adjacent to the Pentagon Metro Entrance. At the Pentagon Visitor Entrance, you must present a valid photo ID to receive a green “No Escort Required” visitor badge. If you are not in the access system, you will need a sponsor to escort you for the day.

Additionally, your CAC is your access to the virtual world, which is your personal work computer, Internet, and e-mail. If you forget your CAC, depending on which computer network you are on, your Network Administrator may provide a temporary password for computer access. However, your access to network resources may be limited (e.g., e-mail). The green visitor badge is NOT designed or able to allow access to your personal work computer or email.

If you lose your CAC/PFAC, immediately check in with your security manager to report the loss, and follow the procedures to be reissued a CAC/PFAC. 

The Pentagon building (badge/pass) office is located just inside the Metro entrance of the Pentagon. The phone numbers are 703-697-9327 and 703-695-2266. Hours of operation are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; and 8:30 am to 4:00 pm on Wednesday.

If I work afterhours, will I be able to use the Metro exit to leave the building?
The Metro exit closes at 8:00 am, Monday through Friday, and is closed on weekends and holidays. If Metro is your mode of transportation, the Corridor 2 Terrace Entrance on the second floor is the closest to the Metro station. Once you exit the security checkpoint at Corridor 2, walk left around the building to reach the Metro station. The Mall Entrance, between corridors 6 and 7 on the second floor, also has 24-hour access/egress.

Will my badge open doors anywhere in the Pentagon?
Pentagon corridors and main portals are generally open to DoD personnel with Pentagon access and provide controlled movement and accountability. Once your Security Manager has authorized access, your CAC will get you into your assigned work space. If you have a specific, recurring mission in any other work space, the appropriate authorizing official may grant access.

Commuting and Parking
What forms of transportation can I use to get to the Pentagon? Many Pentagon employees use public transportation for their commute. These include the Virginia Railway Express (VRE), the Washington Metrorail Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Metrorail and Metro bus, and several regional public bus lines. In addition to public transportation, employees commute via privately owned vehicles, ridesharing (carpools and vanpools), and through the use of slug lines, an informal ridesharing program that allows participants to take advantage of the regional high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes to travel more quickly and cost-effectively. DoD Shuttles are available for DoD official business only with the use of the DoD-issued CAC, and make regular runs to other federal facilities to include Crystal City, the Mark Center, the Suffolk Building, and the Washington Navy Yard. Additionally, the Pentagon Circulator, part of the DoD Shuttle Program, is available to bring employees from Pentagon North Parking areas to the main facility fare free.

More information on transportation options can be located at transportationparking


Can I get a transportation subsidy if I commute on public transportation?
Federal DoD employees are eligible for up to $255 (2016) in tax free commuting subsidy via the Mass Transportation Benefit Program. Applicants must relinquish any workplace parking privileges in order to participate. Subsidy is paid monthly and delivered to your personally owned SmarTrip card. Details on enrollment and benefit delivery deadlines are available at the link below.

More information on the NCR Mass Transportation Benefit Program can be located at



How do I find out what acronyms stand for? A list of DoD Terms and acronyms you may encounter in your work at the Pentagon can be located in Appendix E. To access additional terms, please consult the DoD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, Joint Publication 1-02.

Can I take photographs of the Pentagon?
Photography is allowed on the grounds of the 9/11 Pentagon Memorial and Air Force Memorial, but is strictly prohibited in all other areas of the Pentagon Reservation, including inside the Pentagon, at the Metro Transit Center, in parking lots, roadways, and walking paths. Exceptions are made for ceremonies and events, such as a promotion or retirement.

Whom do I contact if my computer goes down?
If you are experiencing IT related issues, call the JSP 24-hour Service Desk at 703-571-4577. Please listen to the menu options or stay on the line and the JSP operators will ensure your call is promptly handled and routed accordingly.

Am I allowed to escort people to my office and show them around the Pentagon?
Pentagon badge holders with escort privileges may escort up to three guests; or up to 10 guests if they have received an exception to policy waiver from the Pentagon Pass Office.

In order to minimize processing times, Pentagon badge holders are strongly encouraged to register visitors prior to the date of their visit. To register visitors or request an exception to policy, badge holders must submit a request to the Pentagon Pass Office (703-697-9327) at least three business days prior to the date of the visit.



What do I do if there is an emergency in the Pentagon?
In the event of a life safety emergency, dial 911 to contact the Pentagon Operations Center.

For more information, please see the material in AI 111, “Component Emergency Response on the Pentagon Reservation”

How will I obtain emergency information if there is an incident?
You will receive emergency information from several sources inside and outside the Pentagon. A loudspeaker system that broadcasts throughout the Pentagon and in most parking areas will notify you of an emergency and provide instructions. A warning message entitled “Computer Emergency Notification System Alert” (CENS) on all classified and unclassified computer stations in the Pentagon will also provide instructions and messages will appear on the InfoNet screens located throughout the Pentagon. Additionally, your leadership, organizational security manager, and the Pentagon Police and Emergency Responders will provide necessary guidance and direction to all personnel.




Can I get my prescriptions filled at the Pentagon?
There is a pharmacy at the DiLorenzo TRICARE Health Clinic; however, access is restricted primarily to active duty and retired military members and their dependents. Presidentially Appointed, Senate Confirmed officials who receive Secretarial designee status to use the health clinic are also eligible. There is a commercial pharmacy located in the Pentagon on the Concourse Level.





Contact Information: 
Telephone: 703-692-9060

Back to Top